Home Forums Microphones, Audio Rack Gear and Settings Yaesu FT-920 Audio Settings!

This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
    N6AQ
    Keymaster

I purchased a Yaesu FT-920 about 2 years ago and never had the chance to fully set it up. I purchased an EQplus and the w2ihy 8 band EQ and began my trip down the rabbit hole in the search for perfect audio. I followed the setup suggested on Nu9N’s site at http://www.nu9n.com/.

I also followed the directions at W2IHY’s site on how to set up the EQplus and 8 Band EQ and noise gate. I would listen to the Monitor on the radio and my audio sounded really good to me, over the air not so much. I kept getting reports of tinny, distorted and off frequency. A fellow ham told me about http://websdr.org/ where I could listen to my audio on the air almost real time. I selected a SDR site close to me, got on 80 meters during the day and ran some tests.

The hams I spoke with were spot on, my audio sounded like something off of 11 meters, almost embarrassing that I actually transmitted and participated in QSO’s. The most noticeable problem was I appeared to be off frequency which I believe the radio itself will need to be aligned but after using the SDR site I was able to dial my transmit Clar into a -0.06 position and that brought it into a very acceptable range.

Follow the settings from NU9N’s site, the setup suggestions from W2IHY and the settings on the following pictures and you should sound fantastic. Since I have made the adjustments I get constant compliments on my audio, including from DX stations. If this article helped you please let me know, I love hearing success stories from fellow hams.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members

• Profile picture of K2BLU
    registered 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Profile picture of N4NDA
    registered 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Profile picture of Aoejyoh8
    registered 3 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Profile picture of K5QC
    registered 4 months, 1 week ago
  • Profile picture of Mr Robato
    registered 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Groups